Skip to main content

Rescuing the Jasmine

It's proven to be very hard to keep up with the garden, three children and even harder to write about it. But I am rather determined to change this.

Last year sadly Mr MC&W father passed away, in his memory we all chose to plant a Jasmine in our gardens, his mum, brother and ourselves. With everything we had going on our poor Jasmine had become rather neglected.



Today I managed to get ZAP happily on a picnic blanket and the boys charging round on the trampoline. This gave me some time to tackle the area around the Jasmine. 

As you can see it was really quite a mess, surrounded by weeds and had barely any light getting to it. It took a lot of work to dig and pull out the weeds and rather too many nettle stings up my arms. 



When it came to getting close to the Jasmine I decided it better to use a small hand trowel as I did not want to disturbed the roots as the poor plant has had a tough old time already.



I also cut quite a bit of my beautiful rambling rector back to allow more sunshine to get in from above.



I need to get some manure dug into the soil as you can see my footprints became a real feature of the area. Our soil is thick clay and every area of the garden needs serious attention to improve the soil. I am looking around for the best soil improvers.



As you can see from the photos the top looks OK and the bottom there are real signs of growth but the middle looks very woody and to be honest a little dead. 





I shall report if we have managed to get the Jasmine a little healthier. Though the flowers are beautiful and smell wonder already.

 

Comments

  1. I think you have done the right things. More light and less competition from weeds will definitely help. Perhaps it would also benefit from a feed of liquid fertiliser? I use liquid "Growmore" general-purpose fertiliser, which seems pretty good for most things.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding a Bee with sugar water

Have you ever been in the garden and seen a sad looking bee on the ground not really moving? You watch it for a while realising the poor little chap is really struggling. I have found several bees like this and tried to feed them sugar water. But my attempts to rescue them mainly ended with me trying to drown them, I was really not aiding them during their time of need. But I have finally developed a method that works so I thought I would share.

Mix together white sugar with a little water so that it completely dissolves, RSPB suggests 2 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water. I used desert spoons but the same ratio. The advice is never to use honey or brown sugar. 

This is what worked for me, move the bee to a paving stone, I used a strong leaf they tend to walk onto it, if not you can easily slide it under them, then drip a small amount of the sugar water in front of the bee. The bee will start to drink the sugar water and you will see it begin to get stronger. It is truly …

Molehill Trouble

Our garden wraps around our house so we have two areas of lawn. The lawn to be honest is pretty terrible, I use the term lawn loosely, I should really be saying our mix of moss, clover and various other weeds that make up the appearance of a lawn. To add to this we have a little friend who keeps popping up.

A mole.

This is the area of lawn just outside the living room in November, these are seriously huge molehills.



I took all the soil I could do off the grass and redistributed on the new border. I then brought some mole bulbs, we used them on the main lawn about five years ago and they worked. When they arrived I set about putting them in the ground.
























The box gives instructions on how to plant the bulbs. I must admit I did not exactly follow these and put them in each corner and then one half way down each side and one in the middle. Meaning I used more than they would say you need.

This is how the lawn looks now....


No more molehills on this piece of lawn. What has been even better i…

Planting LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei

I can not believe the day had finally arrived, the trees we had put so much thought into were going to be planted.

We had the conifer and last shrubs removed and the whole area dug over and ready for the arrival of the LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei.

Finding Elaeagnus Ebbingei

I was on the school run when they arrived. I walked round into the back garden to see five of the most beautiful trees in huge pots ready to be planted.

Mr MC&W had chatted to the team that the trees need to be the same height despite there being a slight slope.

It was great to see the tape measure out checking the spacing between each one, as this was such a crucial part of the design.

I can not believe how fast they got the first tree in and how polite they were when we suddenly realised it was overhanging the neighbours' boundary. They brought it forward no questions.


All five went in under 4 hours, I honestly do not think we would have one hole dug in that time.
Then they were planted and we could…