Skip to main content

Meal time blues

It's been a long old week in our household and yet again it's food that is making us want to bury our heads in the sand. OB has always had issues around food mainly involving texture and the look. But now he has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes this means when I administer his insulin I need him to eat or he can hypo which means blood sugar running to low and he will not feel very well (putting it mildly). We inject before meals as it's to easy to forget after and I feel have your injection them yummy food is a good way round.
So when you have given the injection and for the fourth day running he looks at the meals he normally eats says yuck and demands cake you wonder a few things. Is it the food are the issues regarding texture and look increasing or is he in fact thinking if I do not eat i get something sweet so let's cut straight to sweet or is this a normal child development and it's a phase.
Tonight I got to a point we had given him his insulin and sat him at the table he looked at the gnocchi and tomato sauce said yuck but instantly said cake. My mother instincts told me this is a cheeky little boy who has learnt if I do not eat my main they will give me food as they know I have to eat. So tonight he did not eat and I gave him for pudding a banana and yogurt my husband and I watched him like a hawk for possible hypo symptoms. He wanted to go outside but was told in simple language no dinner no outside we could not risk a possible hypo. 
So this week my meal plans will be changing we are going to try the following to see what's a success 
Plain pasta and sauce completely separate
Pasta mixed with a tomato sauce that's been blitzed and has no bits
Plain food so carrots, broccoli, potato in some form and meat all separate 
The reason for me having to go back to basics is that he can not tell me what he does not like as he does not have the understanding or language. This is where the speech and language disorder combined with autism traits and compounded by type 1 mean I have to work hard to figure out what's going on in his mind and try to get him eating his food again. Let's hope next week update is a little more positive and we have moved forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.