Skip to main content

Feeding a Bee with sugar water

Have you ever been in the garden and seen a sad looking bee on the ground not really moving? You watch it for a while realising the poor little chap is really struggling. I have found several bees like this and tried to feed them sugar water. But my attempts to rescue them mainly ended with me trying to drown them, I was really not aiding them during their time of need. But I have finally developed a method that works so I thought I would share.

Mix together white sugar with a little water so that it completely dissolves, RSPB suggests 2 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water. I used desert spoons but the same ratio. The advice is never to use honey or brown sugar. 

This is what worked for me, move the bee to a paving stone, I used a strong leaf they tend to walk onto it, if not you can easily slide it under them, then drip a small amount of the sugar water in front of the bee. The bee will start to drink the sugar water and you will see it begin to get stronger. It is truly amazing how fast it can happen, they start to walk about and test their wings. I feel real joy when I witness them start to move again as do my children who love to watch.





Once the bee is strong and feeling better I then transferred it to a flower, though a few have just flown off when they have the energy. This was very simple and I hope that you will give it a go if you come across a tired and hungry bee.

If you have water tables or paddling pools please keep a watch out for bees and flying insects that can potentially drown. I have rescued so many, most of them I put on a plant or on a safe stone (where they will not get trodden on) in the sunshine and they dry off quickly and fly away. My children are really good at checking and telling me when one needs rescuing.You may need to give them a helping hand with some sugar water if they have got weak.
Me, Being Mummy
Rhyming with Wine
Twin Mummy and Daddy
Cuddle Fairy

Comments

  1. Love this! Will have to try it #bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's been a lovely way to help out the bees and had to share x

      Delete
  2. I had no idea you could do this to revive bees! I will definitely give it a try next time I see one, my girls will love it too. Thanks! #bloggerclubuk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my boys just love to find a bee and shout mummy sugar water is needed then they watch as they come back and choose a flower. Good luck with your rescue xxx

      Delete
  3. Great advice - I will definitely give this a try if I see a poorly looking bee x #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic news and I am so pleased this post has helped more to rescue our bees and it's so amazing to do as well. Let me know how it goes xxx

      Delete
  4. Paul sargerson9 June 2017 at 21:23

    This is a brilliant idea and should be spread far and wide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am amazed by the popularity of this post and hope it helps a few more bees get the help they need x

      Delete
  5. What a great thing to do! #savethebees - Luckily I haven't found any around by us, but I will definitely be teaching my little ones about this trick and to help them when they can! Becky x #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's just lovely to hear so many people loving the post and remembering it when they may neee it #blogstravaganza

      Delete
  6. I will definitely remember this, it's so important to help them out. Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has made me so happy that everyone really wants to help and join in xx

      Delete
  7. That's good to know, I've always tried feeding them from a spoon and near drowned them. Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  8. Popping back from #bloggerclubuk xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought of doing this. Lovely to hear your children are on board with the rescue. I'll have to look out for struggling bees with the grandkids.
    #thatfridaylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they love it and get really excited, though I think they want the sugar water hee hee hee

      Delete
  10. Ah I saw this on Facebook, I'm sure I did and the following day we rescued a bee from our children's paddling pool and did this! Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thats great news, so many of them get into paddling pools its such a shame to see but as you know they can be saved xxx #thatfridaylinky

      Delete
  11. This fascinating never heard of it before very clever Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please

    ReplyDelete
  12. We often find ourselves rescuing bees and this mixture is utter bee heaven! It's like something Mary Popping would create! Save the bees!! �� #stayclassymama ��

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow I never even thought of doing something like this, had no idea but will definitely be helping save the bees now! Thanks for sharing with #StayClassyMama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for sharing would never have thought of this! #blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  15. My husband's always rescuing bees too! It's amazing how something so simple can be so effective. Thanks for sharing :) #HoneybeeLinky

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love doing this. Feels very good to help them out! We had a bees nest in our roof earlier this year and had lots on the ground below that needed a bit of support. #HoneybeeLinky

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've seen a few and try to help out if I can, certainly if we are out we move and no sugar water is available we will move them so they don't get hurt. So many people just think they are dead #HoneybeeLinky

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.