Skip to main content

The diabetes yo-yo

We have had type 1 in our life for coming up to six months now and we have come along way. From those paranoid first few weeks where we were almost scared of food, not helped by the fact our little boy had re discovered his appetite and wanted to eat all day long, I am not sure how many bags of carrots, cheese and cucumbers we brought. Learning to do finger prick tests and the joys of trying to sort repeat prescriptions out with the doctors surgery. The laughable way I thought I would easily be able to rotate his blood tests, one inside and outside each finger moving along his hand. What the hell was I thinking I am lucky now to grab a hand and keep him still long enough to do the test and the that bloody E4 honestly I think it's one of the most annoying reading and that bleep ringing in your ears. We both look at the monitor and shout oh no E4 and OB says silly mummy.

We know roughly what we are doing, but what I have come to witness is the level of constant stress. When people see me it's the first thing everyone asks how are the levels? Have you got them under control and it's very hard not to take this personally questioning if people are judging me about how under control OBs levels are. When you say we have had a few high days the normal response oh dear what's happened, what's he been doing. I take a deep breath tell myself they are not questioning you and attempt to answer that we just do not know the answer to. We wish we did  but it can just be a totally mystery, you try to analyse everything did he eat something different, less running around can it be associated with stress or the most common one, is he coming down with something.

But what I have found is that it's just constant and does not go away, your checking so regularly each day that the stress become normal, the wait to see what the monitor is going to pop up with. You think we have been good no carbs between meals and boom a high reading hits you, do you re test, do you leave it, do you need to correct every question enters your head. Even during school they may call you and your having to have these thought with someone else giving their opinion. I was not expecting this at all, I thought the stress would decrease as we got to grips but it just does not.  It's just always in the back ground teasing you.

Then to top this off you have the three monthly hospital appointment, please do not get me wrong our team are kind and caring, easy to talk to and always there to help us. But on that first apt my husband and I felt like two naughty school children and waiting for the results to come back I almost felt sick. We had done well in fact the best all day then you feel like jumping up and punching the air. But however when you leave it's the pressure of the next apt will the reading go up was it a fluke.

So it starts all over again......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding a Bee with sugar water

Have you ever been in the garden and seen a sad looking bee on the ground not really moving? You watch it for a while realising the poor little chap is really struggling. I have found several bees like this and tried to feed them sugar water. But my attempts to rescue them mainly ended with me trying to drown them, I was really not aiding them during their time of need. But I have finally developed a method that works so I thought I would share.

Mix together white sugar with a little water so that it completely dissolves, RSPB suggests 2 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water. I used desert spoons but the same ratio. The advice is never to use honey or brown sugar. 

This is what worked for me, move the bee to a paving stone, I used a strong leaf they tend to walk onto it, if not you can easily slide it under them, then drip a small amount of the sugar water in front of the bee. The bee will start to drink the sugar water and you will see it begin to get stronger. It is truly …

Planting LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei

I can not believe the day had finally arrived, the trees we had put so much thought into were going to be planted.

We had the conifer and last shrubs removed and the whole area dug over and ready for the arrival of the LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei.

Finding Elaeagnus Ebbingei

I was on the school run when they arrived. I walked round into the back garden to see five of the most beautiful trees in huge pots ready to be planted.

Mr MC&W had chatted to the team that the trees need to be the same height despite there being a slight slope.

It was great to see the tape measure out checking the spacing between each one, as this was such a crucial part of the design.

I can not believe how fast they got the first tree in and how polite they were when we suddenly realised it was overhanging the neighbours' boundary. They brought it forward no questions.


All five went in under 4 hours, I honestly do not think we would have one hole dug in that time.
Then they were planted and we could…

Meal Plan Saturday 5th November 2016

I am rather shocked that we are into November and December is slowly creeping up on me. 
The meal plan for the last couple of weeks has been a bit of a chore. For some reason I am finding it hard to decide what to eat and nothing is appealing. 
Saturday - Our family favourite Spag Bol using mince from our local farm shop
Sunday - Roast Chicken, the boys just love this meal and normally clear their whole plates.
Monday - Sausage Casserole with Jacket  Potatoes
Tuesday - Chicken Curry
Wednesday - Tuna Pasta Bake
Thursday - Fish Pie
Friday - Homemade pizza