Skip to main content

Well, Well, Well and Digging

Its half term this week, this means the front is near impossible to do as the boys get bored in the front garden and drive area, so I have moved over to the the back garden to do a spot of tidying up.



This is our well, it's 50ft deep and when we brought the house it had a fake wishing well surrounding it and a few old wooden planks. As you can imagine that rather filled us with horror, luckily at that point our eldest was only 8 months old and we had a little time. We got a wonderful company out who made this cast iron topper and fitted it for us.



I must admit the other half would like a feature made of the well however I hate things like that, if it was to be it would have to be brick and not cute. I would rather do it with a toughened glass top and some lighting so it's modern.

But these dreams I can come back to another day, today was about digging. I have already done a lot of work on this area last summer and I was thrilled that my hard work had started to pay off and the weeds were really coming out easily.

As you can see the well has a concrete lip which is a pain as it sits high, the weds are so awful here I have decided I am just going to remove the soil and either replace with top soil or leave the concrete lip or buy some spangly new top soil.





I have a mission to go and buy me some manure, I need it for the front border and this one so I am considering a bulk buy as our soil is clay and needs a lot of work.



My next though is planting, I think maybe some bedding plants for this year or something to provide colour as I think about the planting moving forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeding a Bee with sugar water

Have you ever been in the garden and seen a sad looking bee on the ground not really moving? You watch it for a while realising the poor little chap is really struggling. I have found several bees like this and tried to feed them sugar water. But my attempts to rescue them mainly ended with me trying to drown them, I was really not aiding them during their time of need. But I have finally developed a method that works so I thought I would share.

Mix together white sugar with a little water so that it completely dissolves, RSPB suggests 2 tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of water. I used desert spoons but the same ratio. The advice is never to use honey or brown sugar. 

This is what worked for me, move the bee to a paving stone, I used a strong leaf they tend to walk onto it, if not you can easily slide it under them, then drip a small amount of the sugar water in front of the bee. The bee will start to drink the sugar water and you will see it begin to get stronger. It is truly …

Molehill Trouble

Our garden wraps around our house so we have two areas of lawn. The lawn to be honest is pretty terrible, I use the term lawn loosely, I should really be saying our mix of moss, clover and various other weeds that make up the appearance of a lawn. To add to this we have a little friend who keeps popping up.

A mole.

This is the area of lawn just outside the living room in November, these are seriously huge molehills.



I took all the soil I could do off the grass and redistributed on the new border. I then brought some mole bulbs, we used them on the main lawn about five years ago and they worked. When they arrived I set about putting them in the ground.
























The box gives instructions on how to plant the bulbs. I must admit I did not exactly follow these and put them in each corner and then one half way down each side and one in the middle. Meaning I used more than they would say you need.

This is how the lawn looks now....


No more molehills on this piece of lawn. What has been even better i…

Planting LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei

I can not believe the day had finally arrived, the trees we had put so much thought into were going to be planted.

We had the conifer and last shrubs removed and the whole area dug over and ready for the arrival of the LolliPop Trees Elaeagnus ebbingei.

Finding Elaeagnus Ebbingei

I was on the school run when they arrived. I walked round into the back garden to see five of the most beautiful trees in huge pots ready to be planted.

Mr MC&W had chatted to the team that the trees need to be the same height despite there being a slight slope.

It was great to see the tape measure out checking the spacing between each one, as this was such a crucial part of the design.

I can not believe how fast they got the first tree in and how polite they were when we suddenly realised it was overhanging the neighbours' boundary. They brought it forward no questions.


All five went in under 4 hours, I honestly do not think we would have one hole dug in that time.
Then they were planted and we could…