Skip to main content

Dinner re think

Our life has been rather turned upside down since OB was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, it has led to a roller coaster of emotions, but the main area has been food. He is only allowed what's classed as free foods between meals these contain no or very little carbohydrates, consisting of items such as carrots, hard cheeses, processed cheese, sugar free jelly, cucumber, meats. Then for main meals I need to get carbs into him so he has energy for the day. When your dealing with a fussy eater who has a limited vocabulary it's a lot to manage.
The food I have been feeding my boys for the last week has made me shudder, I almost feel embarrassed to be admitting it on the blog, they have been having far too much processed food, fish fingers to chicken nuggets the good thing for me is they do not really like it. I sat down tonight after they left their nuggets and croquet potatoes but both bless them ate their broccoli, feeling awful, what has become of me. I cook from scratch, my boys love home cooking.
So here I am deciding on my plan to move forward, I must admit that a couple of glasses of red wine has helped me think and step back again. With all the various things we have going on from type 1, to diagnosis apt with the paediatrician to the countless apts for OB transition to school. I am not sure if I knew if I was coming or going, together with a brain that felt like it could explode at any point.

My first area to consider was what carbs does he like? He is a small growing boy our aim is never to limit the carbs he eats just to give insulin in the correct dosage. Please note at the moment we are not carb counting and this is purely a mums perspective.
Pasta any type 
Spaghetti
Gnocchi
Mashed potatoes
Roast potatoes
Chips
Pastry esp puff pastry
Well I think that's not a bad list we can get many a meal out of this combination of what we have here. My next line was what sauces does he like with his food
Cheese sauce
Tomato sauce
Beef mince sauce
Gravy
Now the hard part the meat or protein elements, meat he is very fussy with sausages are a no no, roast chicken he likes. A meat sauce he is ok with, fish fingers he likes and sometimes crispy chicken. But other than that meat is not fun for us stews do not go down well. Lentils he likes but beans and pulses are a no go. Quorn mince is good good chunks are not his thing. He likes tinned tuna made into pasta dishes and sometimes a fishcake.
He loves his veggies, broccoli, carrots, peas tomatoes, cucumber 
Other items he likes to eat
Pizza esp homemade
Tortellini 
Soup
So in fact when looking at the food he will eat there are a lot of individual meals that I can cook for him and be confident that he will get the variety he needs so not to become bored with a meal, the mixture of carbohydrates that he need for his energy to help him grow and stay the active little boy we love. The added advantage of brainstorming these foods is that you can see different ways of putting food together. Lastly I think some bulk cooking is needed and freezing portions of sauce ready to go with different meals. So I will tackle my weekly meal plans with a new spring in my step and will be sharing what works and I am sure more of what does not.
I will come back to this on our meal plans and talk in more details about how we are using this to get a healthy mixed weekly meal plan. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.