Skip to main content

Small cold steps

It was a cold, wet and windy Saturday afternoon, for some reason I decided it would be the perfect time to start tackling the front garden. I made several discoveries during what felt like the coldest 40mins of my life.

I need some new Wellington boots mine are dead and for some reason have split across the foot area to go along with this discovery I need some thick socks and lets get personal here some thermal undies!!!! My feet were numb and I think it took three cups of tea to defrost me.

Let's get back to the garden shall we, I decided to start clearing the small border near the front door along with the dead ivy. Peeling old woody ivy from the wall I must admit was very satisfactory, it was a little like peeling wallpaper when you get a long strip that just comes away. I also discovered that if I used the outside brush on the wall more of the tiny bits left came off. See I am full of handy garden tips, brush your walls to remove dead ivy. I have discovered we have three planters on our back wall, these have all been covered by ivy, sadly no secret door though. As you can see it's been so long they have been seen one has a tree growing out of it. I am determined to get these functioning again, it will look so pretty to have these planted with seasonal colour.

Below our tree in a small planter.



I ended up wondering if I have achieved anything other than being covered in dust, cobwebs and unable to feel fingers and toes. I looked at the wall which did not look any different to when I first went out but the wheelbarrow was full of ivy I must be making small inroads, I keep telling myself it's not going to be an over night success.



The next discovery is that the small border is full of stones and bricks, I have been thinking about this area tonight. It gets very messy and the soil is dreadful, firstly the is not much soil secondly it's full of the roots for the ivy. Maybe I will not plant this area but instead invest in some funky pots, I can have lots of colour and interest throughout the year, if I was to keep it a border I doubt I could get to take off. I need to look at how best level the ground out and tidy it up before i go shopping for pots.

The awful soil I found in the border.....



So I think we are starting to tidy up. I am off to look at pots for the front garden, no sorry to look into ways of tidying up the ground the pots will sit on. 

Starting to look neater....


Comments

  1. Well its a start! You're much braver than I to go out in this today. Far too cold!! Good job starting....cant wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can it was bitter but pleased to do it. Nee to be determined to get it sorted as it will look nice I am sure

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.