Skip to main content

Ground Elder Battle

My mum has to battle bindweed constantly, the stuff is rife through her garden and she was convinced the moment her back is turned the plant would shoot again. Our garden we have to battle ground elder, it is everywhere and I have had to declare war.

I was informed by Andrew Gardens Weeds and Words that you can make a wonderful pesto using ground elder and I did have an evening considering if I could set up some amazing home business. Selling it from a little stall at the local farmers' markets, maybe even the top restaurants in London would want my homestyle artisan pesto. Then I remembered that I have three boys and can barely find the time to keep us all fed let alone making homemade pesto and taking over the culinary world. 

The smallest front border is so full of it I could barely put the fork into the soil to dig it over. I have started this border now as I want some pots to go along the edge as the soil is so terrible. We considered putting down a membrane but were told it really needed clearing as it would only keep coming back.





















So I set to work, this is a job you can lose yourself in as its just digging and pulling up roots. The sound I came to hate was the snap when the root breaks. I know this means it will grow again, honestly its a very determined plant I must give it that.

These pictures are from just over half an digging and look at the huge amount I managed to pull from one tiny area.





















I am going to have to buy something for my poor knees though they are taking a battering. 

The plan moving forward is to really try and keep on top of this and get it clear as I can. The only way to get rid of it is to keep getting out those roots. I think it will be more autumn time when I can move the pots into place but that means I have plenty of time to think about bulbs and what I can grow as it gets very little sunlight.





Cuddle Fairy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.