Skip to main content

GYO Second year and lessons learnt

I am very much still learning about GYO, last year was our first real go, we had some success and some failures. A lot of the failures were down to my not planning the space properly.

I have brought a lot of very similar seeds to the ones I did last year, but have a much clearer vision about how to plant them this year and more planning has gone into it all.







Cut and come again lettuce was a total failure last year, I have got a wine create I will drill holes in the bottom, line this and fill with compost and use this for them, if this works I will get another one. Another post to follow about this idea.

The tomatoes were massive but took up so much room so will put them in the smaller planter this time and then they will not grow over the other plants.





I also think the courgettes I will put into pots next to the beds, as although designed for pots they took a lot of space. This leaves the raised beds for the beets, carrots, chard, sweetcorn, peas and runner beans.


All the plants I chose are suitable for container gardening.

I am so hoping this will work this year with a little more thought and planning. A massive lesson I have learnt is just keep trying and learning form my mistakes. Sure lots more lessons to be learnt this year. But lets hope we can have more happy faces like this.





Navigating Baby

Comments

  1. You are right: if at first you don't succeed, try, try and try again. You are learning from your experience, which equates to "gaining practical experience"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grow your own is harder work than people say. I've ruined several crops! Looks like you are seeing some great results now #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck, it takes courage to grow your own food in containers - I find courgettes very rewarding although a little overpowering (still remember my dad who only grew yellow ones 'as they are easier to find'), would you also try strawberries? #dreamteam

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my first year planting things, wish me luck! #DreamTeam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.