Skip to main content

Making Leaf Mulch

When the leaves start to fall from the trees you will hear a lot of gardening folk talking about making leaf mulch. From what I can gather, it is excellent for the soil, it can be used as top dressing in autumn and the worms will take it down into the soil over the winter, it is easy to make and free. So how easy is it to make? I decided to have a go.

We have a couple of trees in the garden and I spend most of this time clearing leaves and putting them in the garden waste bin. So I thought I would try to make one bag of leaf mulch.





According to the google searches, you need leaves, black bin bags, some water and a place to pop the bin bag full of leaves for a year or two. That is it in simple terms. But when reading more they kept saying the leaves needed to be shredded, hmm that is not as simple as I first thought.

So I have swept up my leaves, yes you read that correctly, I swept up the leaves. I do most of the gardening with the toddler and an outside hard broom means if he grabs it no real harm can be caused.

The leaves were meant to be shredded but I had no real way of doing that so I got out the sheers and randomly cut them up. Seemed to work most of the leaves had been cut in some way.



Then found a large bin bag and put them in. Sprinkled some water in using the watering can, nowhere did it say how much water to add. So I decided to add, shake the bag and see if they were looking wet when they all looked damp I stopped. Put some holes into the bag, found stabbing it with a garden fork worked well.

Shredding the leaves by hand

Children were more than happy to help play with leaves
Add a little water at a time

Tie a knot in the top and put it behind the shed.....

Holes in and hidden behind the shed


I now need to wait a year to see if I have lovely fresh leaf much or a pile of soggy stinky leaves.
The Pramshed

Comments

  1. Great activity to do with the kids and also much better than Daddy’s way of making a massive bonfire and smoking out the neighbours. Will definitely be trying this! #tacticaltuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha i love it, my mum used to do that to everyone too xx

      Delete
  2. Great idea- not tried this so definitely worth a go! #tacticaltuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its a great idea and really good for the soil and free x

      Delete
  3. Hope it works and isn't a stinky pile. #TacticalTuesdays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too but i am a tad rubbish in the garden so will not expect too much

      Delete
  4. Does it go really smelly? My little ones would of loved to help with this! #FortheloveofBLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not but think if they do not rot it will be an interesting smell x

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of thus before its a good idea though. And i bet the kids had fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They loved it which was great to see. Also got them outside. Even better

      Delete
  6. That’s a great idea for a family activity, I always loved collecting leaves when I was a kid. My daughter would love sweeping them. I know they make composting kits but I think the bin bag is the perfect starting point. “#blogstravaganza

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I'm intrigued to see how this turns out! Thanks so much for sharing with #Blogstravaganza xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really interesting post and something that I've never done before. I usually just pick mine up and put them in our garden bin, which is something I need to do now. Thanks so much for linking up at #fortheloveofBLOG. Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh I hope it works. I loved raking up the leaves in our garden last year #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it works. Sure wish we didn't have to wait a year to find out. I have heard about this but I didn't realize you had to add water and wait a year. I just sort of figured you run the mower over the leaves and call it a day. Good thing I didn't try that. Thanks for sharing with #Blogstravaganza.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great idea. I don't have a garden but will be passing this on to my in laws and I'm sure they will love the tip. Thank you for sharing with #StayClassyMama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.