Skip to main content

Grow Your Own - Can I even do this?

We have taken our first steps in the GYO world and I must admit I have found it all rather confusing and I am sure I am not alone thinking this. After the feeling of triumph from building, lining and filling our raised beds we now have to try and grow something.




I had ordered lots of seed catalogues and read them all, read them again and that is when the confusion and lack of belief started. Can we do this? there was so many dates and words going into and straight out of my poor brain. Am I about to waste a lot of money I began to wonder. I then took a step back and decided to think about this and get my mind round it all.

I narrowed the catalogues down to one and went through ticking the vegetables we eat and cook with the most, then I looked again at what could be planted in the time frame we were planting from may time and lastly what were suitable for growing in pots. I found for this the Marshalls seed catalogue was very helpful to me, it had symbols that were easy to recognise and gave great details about how to grow. I must admit if you want some basics on grow your own ordering a catalogue and reading it is very helpful.

The seeds then arrived and the advice started to come in from friends and family, oh no do not plant seeds now as the frosts, but when i read the packet they said plant straight outside from march and we have frosts in march??? I was beginning to get a little bogged down and now had no idea where to start.




I ask the lovely twitter and they pretty much said the same trust your gut feelings

This is the plan I came up with

Rainbow carrots
Onions (Spring) Lilia
Beetroot - Chioggia 
mixed salad leaves

The boys and I planted these straight into the planters. We made small drills with our hands and sprinkled the seeds in.

I also brought three strawberry plants that were put straight into the planters.




I stared some off in pots to see how they do, I planted them using Dalefoot compost for pots, I have them on the windowsill put putting them outside on warm sunny days

Runner Bean - Jackpot Mixed - Suitable for pots
Half Pint Peas - Suitable for pots
Courgette Lemona - suitable for pots
Sweetcorn - Lark
Tomato - Montello






The children again helped me plant these which although messy and compost went everywhere we had a giggle. These poor seeds have not had the best start, they have been drown on a couple of occasions by the toddler and been used as a car run, being taken inside and outside is not ideal either.

So did just getting on with it and giving it a go work? we shall see





The-Tale-of-Mummyhood-Cup-of-Toast-Blogstravaganza-300x300.jpg (300ƃ—300)


Mudpie Fridays

Shank You Very Much

Comments

  1. Lots of the instructions on seed packets give a very false impression of what is possible! If you were to follow them I don't think you would end up with much of a crop. Seed merchants probably haven't yet understood the effects of Climate Change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they are very wide ranging in their details

      Delete
  2. I don't have a lot of success with growing my own vegetable, so am going to follow your advice #dreamteam@_karendennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will update very soon with how we have done x

      Delete
  3. Well done for giving it a go, frankly if I can grow carrots, radishes and spinach, then anyone can! #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go with the plant and hope method! Last year we had a really nice crop of tomatoes, but I've already managed to kill them and one of the only 2 cucumber plants that actually started to grow! We've got a few pumpkin plants just starting to sprout in the garden though. You don't know how it will turn out until you try. #BloggerClubUK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly just give it a try and see what happens and thats just what we did xx

      Delete
  5. I hope you have luck with your first seeds! I have trouble with something digging in my garden beds and pots right now. My beet seeds sprouted but then something disturbed most of them, so it looks like I'll get 3 beets out of that row...
    ~Jess
    #StayClassyMama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no that’s rather frustrating. Wonder what it maybe? Need one of those cameras to spy on them x

      Delete
  6. I can grow stuff initially - it's stopping them getting eating by every living creature after that ... haha xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha not looking forward to that fun and games xx

      Delete
  7. Fantastic advice X #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with growing your own! When it all comes together it's so much fun. We did lettuce, strawberries and tomatoes the other year. Brilliant for the littles ones to have a chance to see where some of our food comes from. Thanks for joining us for the #dreamteam x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children just love it and they are still excited to see what happens with them x

      Delete
  9. This is a lovely post, and I'm sure that your gut instinct will serve you well. I confess I have never been a big one of doing things 'right', but have grown carrots, tomatoes, peas, strawberries, potatoes and courgettes with a 'try it and see' attitude. I look forward to seeing how you get on. Thank you so much for linking up with #Blogstravaganza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your a girl after my own heart, let’s just have a go and see what happenes xx

      Delete
  10. I am inspired to grow my own too! TY! #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do an update post to show how it’s doing. Have a go it’s rather addictive xx

      Delete
  11. We have just given up on our veggie patch but are still planning to keep up with tomatoes, raspberries, blueberries and blackcurrants. Our rhubarb is hanging on too! Thanks for linking up with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really think it is important to grow the bits you want and have time for xx

      Delete
  12. I really wish I could grow my own but unfortunately I have nor the space nor the inclination to do so. You on the other hand have both so I'm sure you will succeed. Thank you for sharing with #stayclassymama

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Meal Plan Friday 30th September 2022

 The weather is really starting to turn and we are starting to want some more comfort food. Friday - Pizza as the boys have swimming and we do not have much time Saturday - Sticky Chinese chicken Sunday - Pork medallions with apples and roasts monday - Chicken burgers with cheese and pineapple tuesday - tagaltlli in a cheese sauce with mushrooms and ham wednesday - tuna fishcakes served with green veg and tomato sauce thursday - birthday tea for my middle son of pizza and chips with two friends we will have veggie chilli and rice

Meal Plan Friday 23rd September 2022

 Wow it has been a while but here we are again with the meal plan. Friday - Treat dinner out with friends Saturday - Cesear Salad as Mr MC&W is back from San Fransisco. Tortellini for the boys. Sunday - Spag Bol for us all Monday - Omelettes and Chips for us all Tuesday - Pasta, chopped tomatoes and bacon Wednesday - Fish, mash and peas Thursday - Cajun rice from a pinch of nom

Meal Plan Friday 11th March 2022

 Spring seems to be slowly springing into action. The garden much to my delight is coming back to life with the bulbs planted in the autumn about to come into flower. Friday - Sweet and Sour Chicken Saturday - Gammon, Egg and Chips Sunday - Toad in the Hole Monday - Fish, New Potatoes and veggies. Fishcakes for the boys. Tuesday - Chicken Curry Wednesday - Quorn Slices with mash and veggies Thursday - Fajita Pie. Wraps for the boys.